In the post-World War II world, the rebuilding of Denmark requires a modern underwater force comparable to its regional neighbors, and the main enemy of the West is the Soviet Union. This led to the design, development and construction of four new submarines known as the "Dolphin-class".
The ships were named Delfinen, Spaekhuggeren, Tumleren and Springeren, and the units were built between 1954 and 1964. The service was in operation from 1961 to 1990.
Of the four services, three are funded locally by the Danish government and the fourth is funded by the United States (through "cost sharing").
Displacement was 580 tons when surfaced and 660 tons when submerged. The overall length reaches 176.9 feet, the beam is 15.4 feet, and the draft is 13 feet - giving it good characteristics for operation in the shallower waters off the coast of Denmark. Power comes from 2 x B&W 1,200hp diesel engines for surface cruising and 2 x BBC 2,100hp electric motors for underwater work. Top surface speed reaches 13.5 knots, while underwater speed is 16 knots.
Range is available 4,000 nautical miles.
There were 33 crew members on board, including 7 officers and 26 soldiers. Armament is 4 x 533 mm (21 in) forward torpedo tubes with 8 reloads.
The shape of the boat is traditional, with a sail amidships, a contoured bow, arched hull sides and a tapered stern. A crisscross tail pattern is used. The dive plane is located in the upper part of the forward fuselage area.
The pilot ship Delfinen was launched on 4 May 1956 and commissioned on 1 August 1961. It lived a healthy life until its retirement on August 2, 1963. In September 1984, her dismantled hull was sold as scrap.
The Spaekhuggeren was launched on 20 February 1957, entered service on 1 August 1961 and remained in service until decommissioned on 31 July 1989. She was scrapped on December 3, 1991.
Tumleren commissioned 22 May 1958, commissioned 1 August 1961, and retired 6 August 1981. She was sold on September 7, 1982.
The Springeren was launched on April 22, 1963, commissioned on October 22, 1964, and decommissioned on March 31, 1990. She became the only ship in the class to be saved from the scrap dealer's torch as it was handed over to the Aalborg Maritime Museum for preservation.
All ships were built by Copenhagen Naval Shipyard under "Project UB51". They represent the last indigenous submarines to emerge from Denmark. The modern Royal Danish Navy does not use submarines (2019).
- Blue Water Operations
- Fleet Support
- direct attack
176.9 ft (53.92 m)
15.4 feet (4.69 m)
14 kn (16 mph)
16 knots (18.41 miles)
3,997 nautical miles (4,600 miles; 7,403 km)
4 x 533 mm (21") torpedo tubes carry 8 x reloads.