FGS Germany (A59) History

After World War II (1939-1945), Germany was divided - one side was connected to the West (UK, France, US, etc.), and the other side was influenced by the Soviet Union. Given that West Germany's wartime capabilities were severely limited during this period, it received special approval for a training cruiser battleship named FGS "Germany" (A59).

FGS Germany was ordered in 1958 and laid on September 11, 1959 at the Nobiskrug (Rendsburg) in Kiel. It was launched on November 5, 1960, delivered to the German Navy on April 10, 1963, and officially put into use on May 25, 1966.

The original name of the ship was "Berlin", but the resistance and political climate of the time ensured that Germany was her nickname and was moving forward. She joined a long fleet of German origins under the legendary name Germany.

Her design is based on the Type 440 standard, and Germany is the only warship in the group. She displaces 5,000 tons under standard load, increasing to 5,800 tons under full load. Dimensions include a length of 426.5 feet, a beam of 52.9 feet and a draft of 16.7 feet. Installation power consists of 2 Mercedes Benz diesel engines and 2 Maybach diesel engines driving 2 shafts, in addition to 2 Wahodog boilers driving the central shafts for 2 Wahodog steam turbines. The arrangement of the power plant is "CODAG" (Combined Diesel and Natural Gas).

Under ideal conditions, the maximum speed is 22 knots and the range is up to 3,800 nautical miles. The dual propulsion system means better training opportunities for generations of trainees traversing the corridor.

Internally, there is a strong emphasis on learning centers as Germany is primarily seen as a training platform. Her secondary duties - if pushed into war with the Soviet Union and its allies - would include floating medical centers, minelaying, escorting armed fleets and troop transports.

Her standard operating staff is 172, with 250 trainees available. It can carry up to 550 people.

On board, she carried various radar equipment and an ELAC ??1BV sonar system. Armament includes 4 x 100 mm/55 caliber, single mount with turret deck gun, 6 x 40 mm/70 caliber anti-aircraft (AA) guns (two twin mounts and two single mount), 6 x 533 mm Torpedo tubes (four of which are on elastic mounts) and 2 x 375mm anti-submarine mortars. She lost her fixed torpedo launcher in the mid-1970s.

It also has a built-in Bray function. An eclectic mix of weapons attests to the fact that the ship is always used for training, offering a broad system mix. Other notable qualities of this warship are its inventory of 30 life rafts, 3 motorized spires and 3 motorized cutters.

Her profile is a "stacked" boat, where various superstructures can be seen stacked on top of each other, with multiple masts installed. Many details are arranged in a row, which is also expected for such a streamlined warship. The bow is significantly raised and the topline of the hull is lowered near the midship. There are no provisions for helicopter planes on her tail.

When completed, Deutsches became the largest battleship (in displacement) built for Germany since the end of World War II, exceeding the 3,000-ton limit listed after the war.

Once ordered, Germany was assigned to the Naval Academy Murwik (Flensburg-Murwik). Each trainee was assigned a three-month training program, which she held until June 28, 1990.

With few remaining resources as a museum ship, her hull was sold immediately in October 1993, and the ship was sent to India for scrapping the following year.

Specification

Basic

Year:
1966

Roles

- Blue Water Operations

- Fleet Support

- Hunter

- direct attack

- Professional/Practical

Dimensions

Length:

426.5 ft (130.00 m)

width/width:

16.12m

Elevation/Draft:

5.12m

Weight

Displacement:

5,000 tons

Performance

2 x Mercedes-Benz Diesel Engines, 2 x Maybach Diesel Engines driving 2 x Axles; 2 x Wahdag Boiler Units providing 16,000 hp to 1 x Axle for 2 x Wahodag Steam Turbines.

Performance

Speed:

22 kn (25 mph)

Area:

3,823 nautical miles (4,400 miles; 7,081 km)

Armor

4 x 100 mm /55 caliber guns

4 x 40mm/70 caliber anti-aircraft gun (AA) twin mounts.

2 x 40mm/70 caliber anti-aircraft guns, single mount.

4 x 533 mm torpedo tubes mounted on a trainable stand

2 x 533mm torpedo tubes mounted on fixed brackets (removed mid 1970s).

Wing

No.

ContactPrivacy Policy